I spent the afternoon sketching in my garden today. All kinds of things are blooming out there in the heat, and instead of painting a full page, I filled a spread with small sketches. Here are a few tips that might help if you are thinking of trying this:
- Remember to incorporate leaves and stems along with the flowers
- Look at the shape of each leaf, and how it comes off the stem of the plant. Every plant is different.
- Mass small flowers into one shape.
- Let some parts of the sketch escape from each frame.
- Use different size frames on the page, keeping some horizontal, some vertical and some square.
- Draw the blooms from different angles like the white daisies, below. Look at the flowers from above as well as below. Look at the unopened buds and add some of those in.
- Use complementary colours
- Vary your greens by…
View original post 63 more words